Monday, June 18, 2007

Man. I need new glasses.

That goes on The Shortest List, along with fixing the eye-watering gas oven fritz. Rest in peace, you sad pair of gimped up glasses. Now you just match the rest on the pile.

You've been stepped on, kicked, dropped, but finally you snapped under the pressure of me, I guess. Not to make you feel any worse, but now you've made me feel fat and clumsy on top of it all. It all started so innocently. I guess I should've never done those crosswords right before bedtime. That I did not see coming. That and drawing indiscriminately all over my arms and sheets with a pen that night, too.

"Oh, Ambien, I can't stay mad at you."

Now all I have left is the granny-specs missing those cushiony nose things that you take for granted until they are gone. Then it makes you wonder how people lived without plastic. How people used to only have things made from wood, like sets of wooden teeth. Like how I should really be working in a factory right now, like on a production line, with a conveyor belt, maybe working at a candy factory or something like that. I wonder if they have a vision plan that would cover the cost of new glasses...

I can't see crap without squinting like I live on the surface of Mercury now, but you can't win them all. But if nothing else, I can roll away from this knowing that at least I have the confidence to do crossword puzzles with pens and not pencils.

2 comments:

bushra said...

my glasses were threatening to fall apart on one side, til one morning, yep, the left lens popped out of the frame. i had one looooong day trying to find a pair of old glasses to salvage a screw for mine, and then to find a screwdriver! got there in the end! phew!

me said...

it is so hard to find those teeny screws and teeny screwdrivers, especially without glasses! you'd think since, what, the 1600 or 1700s or so, someone'd have thought by now of a way to keep screws in a pair of glasses. but no...but wait, hmm...is this giving you some entrepreneurial ideas, too? i say let's go into research and split profits. done!